ASK GSJ – Carl
Carl lives and works in Greater Saint John
Location: Westfield Golf & Country Club in Grand Bay-Westfield, New Brunswick
Distance from Uptown: 26 km / 25 minutes driving
Styling: wardrobe, accessories, and footwear courtesy of Carl
Carl is the Director of Smart Grid at Saint John Energy, representing Greater Saint John's Energy sector.
"I have had the opportunity to travel the world and I have not witnessed a better place to live."
After living in different places around the globe, people are often drawn home to Greater Saint John.
We want to show you what it’s like to live and work in Saint John, New Brunswick.
Questions and Answers with Carl
Where are you from?
- I was born in Toronto, Ontario. I grew up in Saint John, New Brunswick.
Where did you go to school and what did you study?
- I graduated from the University of New Brunswick with a bachelor of science in data analysis.
When did you move to Saint John? Was it for your present job?
- After completing my university I worked for the New Brunswick Telephone Company (NBTel/Bell Aliant). After a couple of years my wife and I moved to New York City / Boston / Indianapolis where we lived and worked for 12 years, and then spent two years in Milton, Ontario. I have had the priviledge to work and deliver many complex projects for very large utilities throughout the US and Canada. My family and I moved back to New Brunswick in 2012. I worked as a remote employee for General Electric - Grid Solutions - prior to joining Saint John Energy.
Can you please provide a brief overview of your job?
- I am the Director of Smart Grid at Saint John Energy and lead an innovative team that includes Smart Grid Engineering, Operations Technology, Information Technology, Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), Geospatial Information System (GIS), and our Distribution Control Centre (DCC). Our Smart Grid team works to deliver solutions to Saint John Energy and to our customers that continuously improve our quality of service. We are responsible for our electrical grid's communications network, technical infrastructure, data, and computer systems. Our team is working hard to lay our smart grid foundation by advancing our control centre, digital two-way communications technology, renewable generation, storage, data science, and smart devices to detect, react, and work with the electrical grid to respond digitally to our quickly changing electric demands.
What’s the best thing about your job?
- Absolutely the people that I get to work with. The dedication, effort and attitude of our people is a continuous joy. Additionally, I get to share in the experience of bringing technology solutions that better our customers' and our organization's sustainable future.
Why do you choose to live and work in Saint John?
- I have lived and worked throughout the US and Canada over the past 20 years. I grew up in Saint John and actually grew up a stone's throw away from the Saint John Energy headquarters buiding. Growing up in New Brunswick, Saint John Energy has always been known for its positive reputation, fantastic people, and a desire to continuously bring value to its customers. Being able to work in my hometown, continue to work in this field, and to work for such an outstanding organization made the decision very easy.
What is the best thing about this city?
- The people, diversity, cost of living, and natural beauty.
What is your favourite restaurant?
- The Ale House is a favourite for our large family. The service is always amazing. Fun environment that provides a top quality and fresh menu of local New Brunswick ingredients.
What is your favourite weekend activity?
- Love spending quality time with my family. We love hikes, geocaching, bike rides, camping, swimming, and playing basketball. The sport of Triathlon is a hobby of mine and Saint John has some of the best places in the world to swim, cycle and run.
What is something that people from away need to know about Saint John?
- Saint John is by far one of the most beautiful, friendly, innovative, and diverse places to live and work in the world. The community and people are simply awesome.
Want more information about what it’s like to live and work in Greater Saint John? Ask Carl